I just realised just how dangerous it is to be inebriated, especially when you are an unprotected, highly intoxicated and agitated pedestrian.
On Saturday, I was in Bugis, across the road from Bugis Junction. I had taken the train there as I had to stay at home to wait for my father to get home from the airport while my younger sister was brought to her Chinese dance class by my mother.
At seven, we had walked to the MRT station near my home. Before long, we were sitting in the air-conditioned train carriage. At Bugis station, we alighted and walked towards the NAFA academy of young talents. We stopped to wait for my mother who decided to meet us halfway there. We were just outside iLuma, a new mall in the Bugis area.
Then, this Malay guy dashed past us, closely followed by a hysterically shrieking young Malay female whom I presume to be his girlfriend. The man is staggering as he run and his shoes laces are undone. I am half waiting, and praying not, for an accident to occur. There was this small lane in front of the Malay guy and a car in the midst of turning into the lane. For a moment, I thought the guy would trip and fall in front of the car.
Fortunately, my prediction did not come through. He just slammed into the flank of the car, ran round the back, and continued running. Reaching the other side, he removed his shoes and continued running, closely followed by the lady, who stopped only to pick up his shoes. It was quite crowded there and people stopped to look at the scene with shocked expressions. If I had to choose a song for this scene to play in the background, it would be “stop and Stare”!
I heaved a sigh, asking my dad whether he thought the guy was under the influence of alcohol. He just shrugged and gave me his two cents worth of the guy and why we should not get ourselves drunk, and the risks we face if we do. I practically just let the words wash over me, barely listening. My mind was preoccupied with imagination of what might have happened between the couple before and after this incident. Dad gave me a shove and brought me back to reality. Mum was in the car ten meters ahead of us and we have to go.
It’s getting late, and I need to pack my bag for tomorrow. Adieu.
Sunday, January 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment